Thursday, May 14, 2009

VIDEOS OF MUSIC

So I have been meaning to add some things for a bit, but have been caught up in end of the year flurries. A very interesting concept in film is the "one take" such as in Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope" where he masks his cuts to give the appearance that the whole thing is shot more or less in one take. There have been a lot of other films that do this as well... such as "Elephant" (the walks through the halls and around the school). Anyway, this concept has also been applied to music videos. Such as Feist. Her video for 1234 is probably more well known... shot in one take... due to the i pod commercial, but I couldn't embed the video, however I did stumble across this while looking: Which is kinda bizarre. Patrick Daughters has directed a bunch of her videos and has a bunch of other goodies. I spent an evening watching them on YouTube the other night, I would recommend looking at some of his stuff. He has this bit in Department of Eagles "No One Does It Like You" where all the female soldiers do ballet that I am fond of. Also, on the subject of interesting music videos, I have to put a Spike Jonze video in here, namely the The Pharcyde's "Drop" video. It was shot backwards, they even learned some of the lyrics backwards, I first saw it in one of Koster's classes, he had the DVD (a compilation of Spike Jonze videos) and was rather fond of showing it. And finally... The Avalanches "Frontier Psychiatrist" because its kinda weird and came up in my last Film One class. Which speaking of which, just made me love Pam even more. I went up to her after it was over and she reacted with "Oh Hanna" and pulled me into a hug and made me promise that we would stay in touch next year. Which of course I would like to do. I wish I was a wee bit older because I could see her going out to a bar with me or something. But alas, I am a youngin. It's weird... I remember the first time I heard this song, it was just after Ian and I started dating, he was in my car and we were driving to Carbondale. We were just about to Catherine's Store when he pulled the C.D. out of his backpack and told me "I have something I think you might like" and put it on. We may have been on our way to radio. Its so interesting and crazy to think of those times... radio and filmfest days. Anyway.

1 comment:

Ian said...

These are some of the greatest videos I've seen in a long time. I loved Feist on Sesame Street.