Monday, September 7, 2009

A BIT OF ART

Richard Avedon
I painted a bit tonight and am very satisfied with the pieces, they are simple but I really enjoy them.
I have quite a bit going on on my walls, as is usually the case. Every few years I end up taking everything down and rearranging or starting fresh. I suppose I usually outgrow it... I think I will have this layout for a while though, I really like it and I don't see myself growing tired of it until I move and take my painting and such with me. I just may photograph my walls and my room in general to document it, in which case they may end up here, the photos. The other day J and I were talking about artists, she saw a Richard Avedon exhibit in San Francisco that I am sure was fantastic. Andy Warhol... I looked up why he was scarred and I found that he was shot by a woman who "ran an organization" (she was the only member) called S.C.U.M: Society for Scarring Up Men. I believe that she also shot one of his Marilyn pieces which he sold later. Here is a website that goes over the book... the woman who shot him wrote it and gives a bit of a rundown. We also chatted a bit about Kiki Smith and I felt that I should share this piece, I'm really fond of it. She is probably most well known for sculpture and installations but she also paints, it seems that she dabbles into many different mediums.

Finally... this is something strange that I have never heard of but stumbled across today on the web: electronic cigarettes. Apparently they have a blue bulb at the end that lights up when you inhale and it lets off water vapor that looks like smoke. You can choose different flavors to "inhale" and charge up the pack once you are done. Its really strange.

1 comment:

Ian said...

i love that first painting of yours, its magnificent. your colors work so well.