Thursday, February 12, 2009

COBRA MIST AND RUINS MAKE MY DAY ART FILLED

I discovered a wonderful website filled with many amazing photos via my dad. The photographer is named Rob Dobi and he takes photos of abandoned buildings in the New England area. I selected a few photos, but there are so many that I have neglected so take a look.


I also liked the photos that gave you an idea of what the space once was, such as the school and the beauty parlor, he also has some wonderful theater shots. There was a fantastic shot of a piano that I was going to put on here, but felt like I was going a little photo crazy.


They are really quite stunning. Also, we watched an artist named Emily Richardson in my Film One class. She is from the UK and makes these wonderful time lapse, stop motion films on 16mm. My favorite that we watched was Aspect, it was shot in a forest and show light moving on trees. Here is a blurb I found on Canyon Cinema:

"Aspect is filmed in a forest over the period of a year. Using photographic techniques, such as time-lapse and long exposures on single film frames the forest year is condensed into a few minutes. Light, colour and shadow travel across its surface and the film shifts between seeing the trees as trees and seeing the movement of light and shadow abstracting the real environment."

Redshift had some lovely clouds and stars, she also plays with light in this one. Her films are very visually interesting and appealing. Another blurb from Canyon Cinema:

"In astronmoical terminology redshift is a term used in calculating the distance of stars from the earth, hence determining their age. redshift attempts to show the huge geometry of the night sky and give an altered perspective of the landscape, using long exposures, fixed camera positions, long shots and timelapse animation techniques to reveal aspects of the night that are invisible to the naked eye. The film has a gentle intensity to it, and is composed of changes of light across the sea, sky and mountains. It shows movement where there is apparent stillness, whether in the formation of weather patterns, movement of stars, the illumination of a building by passing car headlights or boats darting back and forth across the sea's horizon. "

One of her films is online, it is called Cobra Mist, I haven't watched it myself but intend to after I finish writing this... if you are interested its on a website for Animate Projects Limited. They have a section called Animate TV that has various short films categorized by year.

No comments: