Tuesday, June 1, 2010

NETFLIX

I got La Jetee and San Soleil on Netflix from the Criterion Collection. Both films are by the director Chris Marker. Of course I have seen La Jetee many times in film classes and even posted a clip from it on here once, where the woman wakes up. San Soleil "tells the story of a globe-trotting, soul-searching cameraman. Soleil relies on the narration of the cameraman's travel log." Says the little envelope the movie comes in. I really like it. It is all just interesting things that the cameraman thinks about matched with images. It works with my brain and I have realized it is a film I've wanted to make in a sense. I remember pitching an idea to Alec that was all about what I found that was beautiful that people overlooked. Using film to show people things like photography does I suppose. He looked at me skeptically when I tried to explain how something like "how white this paper is compared to other paper" and how many people wouldn't notice. He was one of those people who wouldn't have noticed. That is not the greatest example I must say, the idea relied on the fact that people just don't pay attention and something as lovely and simple as light melting down buildings at the right time of day is beautiful. Paying attention to the world allows you to actually look at it. Anyway, the film is very interesting, with subtle social commentaries. Here is the Intro:
Also, with the subject of Netflix... I have figured out a way to get a copy of Fight Club I think (since Evan lost mine...) that is kinda cheating the system. Jane once sent back one of her DVDs by accident by putting it in the envelope and ended up trading movies with Netflix. They are still sending them DVDs and didn't say anything. They sent us an extra copy of Horton Hears a Who so I may just switch it out for Fight Club and then they have just sent us an extra copy of the movie I want. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: