Sunday, June 20, 2010

PRAHA

I made it to Prague after an unexpectedly long journey that involved an unplanned stop in Atlanta, Georgia. We had been flying for a few hours when the captain came on to announce that there was something wrong with the navigation computer so we had to fly at a lower altitude and would therefore not have enough fuel to make it all the way to Europe so we had to turn around and go to Atlanta to get a new plane. So I spent an hour or so wondering around the Atlanta airport and after accosting three people I thought might be from the program "umm hi, are you from Emerson College?" Two were and one wasn't but he ended up being from CU Boulder so that was weird. SO after getting up at 3:45 in the morning (Colorado time) and flying from Denver to Minneapolis to JFK (New York) to Atlanta I made it to Prague around 3 in the afternoon Europe time and split a cab with one of my accosted fellow students, Brooke. It turned out she is one of my roommates along with Trisha and Kristie. Kristie and I are in room A (she is from Maine) and Trisha (from Minnesota) and Brooke (Vermont) are in room B. Our bedrooms are tacked onto a little tiny apartment type deal with a WC (just the toilet) a room with the shower and a sink, closets, and a little counter with a hot plate and a mini fridge. I wish I could take photos to share but I don't have a digital camera and can't figure out transferring the little webcam pictures I can take on here to anything other than the photobooth type program that they go into... but we'll see if I can be savy enough. We have been hanging around with some of the boys as well, so far I have met Matt, Dan, Brett, Zach, Andrew, Mark and Tyler along with Caitlin and Julie. I think that means I haven't met four to seven people. I'm not sure if there are 20 or 16 people in the entire program. We have a meeting in about an hour that is supposed to fill us in. Last night the twelve of us ventured to this bar that had multiple floors and each one had a different theme. We started on the bottom floor which had parts of engines and gear moving about. There were a few live musical performances and we stopped by a few of them for a quick listening. After a few rounds of beer and sitting at a table that was on a floor that reminded me of Being John Malkovich (3 and a half) we all got split up and I ended up with Matt, Dan, Zach, Brett and Andrew while everyone else went home. We sat outside on a metalwork balcony with a tree popping through. When it was time to go home we chatted with three Finnish girls who are studying here while debating over taking a cab or the tram home. In the end we split up into groups of three and each caught cabs back. I made it into bed five minutes after four and woke up at noon to venture out for lunch (at a Chinese place) and to find a grocery store. I got some bread, cheese and yogurt but I was unable to find tape, stamps or peanut butter (I don't think they have it at all in this country.) I also have some bananas. We discovered a little stationary/craft shop nearby that I plan on visiting soon. So I guess that is all. I am here. For those of you who wish to mail me... I believe that my address is as follows:

Hanna Kelly
Kojel Komenskeho RM 317A
Praha 6, Parlerova 6

But please remember that it takes a good while to get here so do not send it towards the end... just right now. I'm only here for a month! I do owe some lovely people some mailings however. Okay.

No comments: