Tuesday, June 22, 2010

THANK GOODNESS IT BECOMES ENGLISH

I would like to start by stating... thank goodness blogger becomes English after you click the crazy Czech word with symbols like mad that stands for signing in. I am eating apricot (marhula) yogurt and would like to mention that you have to tack Czech Republic to the end of my address. I seemed to have forgotten that bit. So put that on there... I had class from 9 until 8 today which was a long haul. Most of it was a "lighting workshop" where we weren't allowed to touch the lights, some Czech students did it for us. I guess the voltage is a lot higher so they are anxious about us getting electrocuted? It was basically a mini film shoot but dysfunctional because there were too many people with not enough to do, no direction at first, and a lot of creative input. I ended up being the "AD" and had to yell for quiet on the set and push everyone to get shots up, however, due to the Czech students (who didn't tell me what they were doing and took a long time on lighting set ups... it was only like two guys doing it) and the learning aspect it was difficult to speed things up and do it properly. In the end one scene took us from one to five... which is actually a bit typical for a film shoot but long. It actually made me anticipate Emerson shoots, I found myself glad that I would be going back to ACing film twos and such, I like just having my set position and being trusted with the camera. We did shoot Vision 3 on the Aton today though, so that was a good bit. We have to shoot our final projects digitally which is a bit annoying considering that NYU has a program here that shoots on 35. Last night after our welcome dinner Matt, Brett, Zach, and I ran down to the old town main square to watch the world cup match between Spain and Honduras. We met up with Matt's NYU friends there and watched the game until Spain won and then danced around with some people including a homeless man with the most adorable, sweet lab that he held like a baby while singing Hallelujah over and over. Matt always finds good interesting things to do for whatever reason. The night before that we went out to a bar with weird artwork and had beer until they closed up for the night. Then we went down the hill to a jazz club that was having a private party. Matt convinced them to let us in and to stay and then we discovered that it was a pre-production meeting for some English, American and Czech people who are shooting a commercial in Prague. We talked film with the American who were from New York and LA. Due to his ability to find good things, and that he is a nice guy, I have been trying to become friend with Matt. I am now eating a cucumber which Kristie, my roommate, thinks are the vegetable version of watermelon, which I find interesting. I have started my one line a day five year memory book and am doing my best to maintain it. Also, no one seems to know where you can buy stamps here and I can't find them anywhere, though I did stumble across a postal museum across from Studio FAMU (where most of my classes are) and can only assume that they have stamp exhibits. I still don't know if I am going out tonight, but the sun just set and it is 10PM. Also, we watch some fantastic Czech cinema in class today including parts Milos Foreman's (who directed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) Loves of a Blonde.
There is a bit more at the end of this scene that is also good and a scene with older army men trying to buy the lead lady and her friends drinks that we watched and I enjoyed but I can't find it with English subtitles... partially because I am in the Czech Republic and they don't use English subtitles. I would like to watch that film in its entirety.

1 comment:

Marika said...

Loves of a Blonde is a fantastic movie!!! You SHOULD watch it in it's entirety. I love the lead female character's pout. She has the best pout.