Thursday, April 30, 2009

HELLO MY NAME IS REEL KARMA


Last night I went to a show for Wax on Felt, Emerson's record label. They showcased six different bands that are all competing to get signed. My friend Riley was playing with his band, Reel Karma and I decided to make an appearance and take a listen. These guys usually play out on the steps of the piano store, as may have been previously mentioned, and I've had my fair share of street dancing because of it. All of the bands were really quite good, there was a lot of variety. It started with Ett (no idea on spelling...) which is a kind country-ish, rock band, they had a steel lap guitar which was pretty awesome. Then it went to this girl... Michelle M(something) who played piano and guitar and sang. She was kinda Ani DiFranco type, poems sang in different interesting ways and really simple instrumentals (for the most part, she had this great bit with really intense piano that was great.) She had a really nice, husky voice. Then came Blue Rhonda, which sort of reminded me of Maroon 5 because of the lead singer's voice, but there were good instrumental bits and they had a nice beat. Stupid lyrics though... well I think. Amory S(something) was in the middle. She had a huge fan base, they were all chanting her name and screaming their heads off, which was fine until it was annoying. She was really good though... she was on piano and vocals... but she had a band with a bass player, drummer and guitarist. It was good, boppy music... good piano that meshed really well with the band. Reel Karma came on after, and they were putting on quite the show. Its kinda great because they are not used to playing at venues... so they were really into the performance aspect, especially Jared... he was kinda being a punky rockstar, screaming about the bitches he dated before songs and telling people to dance. He had moves while he was playing, it was really amusing because he is usually this quite, nice little guy who looks like Adrian Brody. They put on a show though, and put all their energy into it, which made for a good vibe. They did a good job, I danced the whole time. Then the finale... was a band from Berklee called This is How Rumors Get Started. I feel like Emerson kinda shafted them a bit... by this point a lot of people had left, I mean the show had been going on for over two hours and its final week... and Amory had played, and well, they were from Berklee. But I decided to stick around, and of course, they were really good. They had an amazing guitar player. He was this little blond, skinny thing wearing shorts with suspenders and blue patent shoes. The lead singer was this black kid who gave me a pin earlier in the show... after it was over he came over gave me a high five and told me I was cute. It was a good show and I was glad I went. Tonight there is a screening at the Museum of Fine Arts that I'm going to. The film is called Night on Earth: " An anthology of 5 different cab drivers in 5 American and European cities and their remarkable fares on the same eventful night." I am hoping that it will be good, because it sounds like it has potential. Kinda makes me think of Taxicab Confessions. Let see... my other bit of culture is going to be on Sunday. My friend Emily got free ticket (from her mom's friend) to the musical Spring Awakening, and had invited me along. I'm really quite exicted, it is so much fun to go to shows. I live in the entertainment district of Boston and don't go to the theater nearly as much as I should. But this will be good.

No comments: