Monday, January 24, 2011

THROUGH A LENS

I've been wanting to post the opening scene to Loves of a Blonde and I stumbled across it today while looking for A Touch of Evil (which I have to watch for class but can't watch instantly netflix it... my DVD didn't arrive in time.) Anyway, I am particularly fond of the song/beginning whispered conversation between the girls.



I had my first documentary photo class today and I liked it. The professor is a really mellow guy who brought in some good photo books. I really love photo books. I end up looking over the photos a lot longer than anyone else in my class. Once I am settled into a house I will start to get some of my own, as of now... it's just not practical to be toting them from one end of the country to the other. For those who don't know here is my schedule this semester:

DOCUMENTARY PHOTO
PHOTO PRACTICUM
LIGHTING
ADVANCED CINEMATOGRAPHY

So all cameras... all production classes. That is of course as long as I can figure out this Intro to College Writing nonsense. I was told when I got to Emerson that the English class I took in high school through CU at Denver would be able to transfer and give me credit for Intro to College writing, so I took the next level writing course and skipped that. A whole lot of miscommunication and lost transcripts later... they will not let me get credit for it because it was entitled "Intro to Fiction" but it was a writing class that used fiction as things to write about. So annoying. Now I have to see what loopholes I can find so I can get the little check mark next to that requirement and graduate like I wanted to while still maintaining this schedule. I was going to sacrifice documentary photo initially if things didn't work out... but now I like it and don't want to do that. Sigh. I am a effing senior, I think that I can write in college seeing as I made it to my last semester. Anyway, our first assignment is to photograph a relationship but with a twist. We all had to draw a little slip of paper that had either R or NR on it. Real or not real. If you got R you take photos of a real relationship, it you got NR you take photos of two people who don't know each other (or who don't have a relationship together) and make it look like they do. That is the one I got, NR. It should be interesting. My mind is full of coming up with projects now. Anyway, I am going to go watch A Touch of Evil (Orson Welles, with one of the best long shots everrrr) for lighting now. I finally found it on the web.

No comments: