Wednesday, June 10, 2009

WOODSTOCK

I love this photo.

My dad and I were watching Woodstock tonight on VH1 Classic. We've watched it quite a few times and my dad always has the same reactions. Its interesting because Lewis Teague (director of Cujo, The Jewel of the Nile and few others) worked on it along with Martin Scorsese. Lewis was one of my film teachers and would talk to us about going to school with Martin and on one occasion, the making of Woodstock. My dad and I will chat about certain obstacles that the filmmakers had while watching it (such as the inability to be able to communicate, they had some kind of headset walkie talkie system that was blown out I think... and there were a ton of people, and it was really loud...) and always get excited when we see his name in the credits. Anyway, the real motivation of this post comes in the form of Sly and the Family Stone who put on a fantastic performance. The last half of it in particular when the band goes all in and they have the wonderful horns blaring. I also enjoy the dance that the two guitarists do, along with their garb, one of them has a fantastic hat. They also have this black woman in a blond wig dancing which is fab. They are just great musicians and they put on a great show.
There is a theatrical movie about Woodstock coming out this year called Taking Woodstock. It looks like they have a few of the famous scenes from the doc... such as the nuns giving the peace sign. I really love the Woodstock icon and while searching for a photo of it I was reminded how many people were there. It is insane.

No comments: